We are a group of volunteers dedicated to increasing the tree canopy cover of Bristol.
Why? Because tree cover brings so many benefits to an urban environment: a shared amenity, public health, economic growth, reduced pollution and flooding, wildlife, food and a better sense of well-being.
These are our terms of reference:
- protect and enhance our urban trees in streets, parks, gardens and all open spaces.
- encourage BCC to ensure the replacement of trees that have been (and continue to be) removed.
- establish sufficient funding to ensure the retention of mature trees in our city and slow the present rate of felling.
- establish sufficient funding for the planting of new urban trees.
- stabilise then increase the urban canopy cover.
- work with BCC to plan for “climate proofing” our city in accordance with predicted urban temperature increases in the next 20 years; and
- argue for a formulaic approach to ensure that Bristol achieves a sustainable balance between the built form / hard surface and tree canopy cover.
- provide a mechanism for open consultation on urban trees issues between local community groups, interested professional bodies and several Bristol City Council Departments.
- promote greater understanding of the values of amenity trees and stay up-to-date with current thinking, policy and research.
This is our Constitution.
Some of the things we do…
- Comment on Planning Policies and Applications.
- Source funds for planting new and replacing existing trees.
- Protect established & remarkable trees.
- Find locations to plant new trees.
- Link up with local community groups and other stakeholders and help them promote tree planting and protection.
We are not the only ones who love trees. Here are some others :
PS. Please let us know if we have missed you out and we will gladly add you to the list.